24.11.08

running behind already...

so i don't have much to say, especially having just posted last night. but a friend shot me a note that spurred a thought i wanted to share.

i made note of the fact that my kids had checked out on me, already moved on as though i wasn't really part of things. they've already surprised me with their resiliency in the opposite direction. in just a small handful of days, my simply being more involved or engaged or whatever has got them giving me more smiles, more hugs, more everything. and isaiah in particular has bounced back in a huge way - he keeps coming to me to pick him up or to sit and watch tv with him or to play with him - just walks up and gives me the 'dada'. he's not really been that interested in me before now, so this is like a breath of fresh air. i have along way to go just to get to the level of crappy as far as being an involved father, but the motivation is there.

big day at work today. at least one major conference call, supposedly two, and a meeting with the vp of global sales. weird how one looks around one day and suddenly one is in meetings with people with titles like that. in any case, i'm already second-guessing myself, already telling myself i don't know what i'm doing. the problem is that in this case i really don't! so i'll simpy screw my BS generator up to eleven and impress the hell out of them, along with freely admitting when i don't know what to say and suggesting that i get back when i have all the information i need, and everything will be good. it's what i do.

if i'm lucky, somewhere in the next couple of days i'll met a friend or two for lunch. it'll be good to see someone who isn't part of my everyday life, i think. kind of a shot in the arm for the willingness to go back to normal life in a whole new way. then comes the turkey trot on thursday, something i look forward to every year now. he bibs have an integrated timing system in them this year, which makes it that much more of a bummer that i've been sick off-and-on for the past month - i'd have loved to go down and crack off a series of 7-minute miles and have it verified. unfortunately, if i can run 9s i'll be satisfied for this year.

No comments: